At around 11 p.m. last night (Sunday, Jan. 20), a curious cat became the culprit of a brief power outage for about 115 residents in a West Philadelphia apartment complex. The residents, consisting of many families, were promptly evacuated to West Philadelphia High School until further notice.
CBS Philly reported this morning, “Authorities say a four-legged feline is to blame for the incident at the West Park Housing Complex in the 4400 block of Holden Street.” There was a short in a transformer due to a cat wandering around the basement of the complex, which was confirmed by Dept. Chief Derrick Sawyer, which swiped power from all three buildings in the complex.
An unconfirmed statement made by a local radio station states that the power outage also caused a fire. Despite this, the power was easily and quickly restored to two of the three building, with officials currently continuing work on the last building. My Fox Philly reported on the incident this morning.
In a funny bit, The Philly Post commented, “This is what we know: Sunday night, a cat caused a short in a transformer at a West Philly housing complex, leading to a power outage. About 100 people had to be evacuated to a nearby high school. Things appear to be fine now. That is all.”
As generators kick in to help residents ease back into their homes, it’s still important to remember the vitality of power protection that can apply to all scenarios – even the most odd and rare cases. Even more importantly, we should remember the effects of unexpected power outages.
To check out some reliable power protection solutions for any situation, click here.
Want to learn more about the latest in communications and technology? Then be sure to attend ITEXPO Miami 2013, Jan 29- Feb. 1 in Miami, Florida. Stay in touch with everything happening at ITEXPO (News - Alert). Follow us on Twitter.